Tuesday, September 04, 2007

I am just back from a weekend in Glastonbury - never been before and the place really has magic in the air. I was there for a 'Goddess' weekend run by my gorgeous friend Cordelia and I am now filled-to-the-brim with fabulousness and am channeling my inner goddess which consists of a heady mix of my inspiro-girl icons past and present - Wonderwoman, Madonna, Oprah, Beth Ditto, Nigella, Kirsty Allsop, Marilyn, Betty Page, Audrey...ahhhh!

For most of my life I've been a girl with lots of boy mates.
My relationship with girls was not good.
Girls were bitchy, girls were nasty and at my school, girls hurt me with words.
Boys didn't judge me, they laughed with me and felt comfy with me, like they didn't have to do all that bravado stuff that's involved when you're trying to impress a girl you fancy. Obviously at the time, this was tortuous. As a teen girl I was all about crushin', but while they may not have fancied me, they made fab friends to laugh with and to hang with - I did not join in any ball games though, that would have just been silly.
Girls couldn't work out why the cool boys wanted to hang with the fat girl, so as if they needed it, I un-intentially gave them more fuel for their dislike of me.

Obviously now, as an agony aunt and lifecoach, I can see that those girls were threatened by me.
Li'l ol' me.
They were so eaten up with their own insecurities that the only way to feel better about themselves was to make other people feel bad.
That's really sad.

Now, as a girl in my 20s, my relationship with girls has done a complete turn around.
I can't pinpoint exactly when the turn around happened, but I know it was about the time when I stopped letting their words hurt me.

Y'see, I believed what those girls were saying. I thought I was worthless and that no boy would ever fancy me.
But when I realised that was their insecurities, their hang-ups, I dumped those thoughts and started re-programming new ones.
I found it hard to love myself, but I deffo started to like myself and when I did, life became sweeter.
And for the record, turns out boys did want to kiss me, and before I met The Man, let me tell you, I kissed A LOT of boys.

I've now attracted some of the most fabulous members of girlkind that I can now call friends and this weekend has attracted another 5 fabulous ladies to my circle. I write books for girls, I work with girls, I run workshops for girls, I celebrate girls because there really is nothing better than spending time with, celebrating, being inspired by, other fun, fiesty, fearless and fabulous girls, so:
Next time you see a girl with a fab bag, tell her.
Next time you think someone looks gorgeous, don't try and find faults, just tell her.
Next time you pick up a trash mag where they circle the bad bits of a celeb girl, don't buy it.
Show some love to fellow girlkind, because let's face it, when us girl's team up, we freakin' rock!


In other news:
Not wanting to be one to jump on the bandwagon, but I am LOVIN' Delilah by Plain White Tees.

The front man, Tom, has more than a touch of the cuteness about him too, not that I would ever let a cute guitar-playing singer dude with a John Lennon-esque hair-do sway my musical tastes. Ahem.

Also, I love September.
It marks the beginning of Autumn, which is basically Lisa Season here in pink world - I'm itchin' to purchase autumn/winter attire - gorgeous Pink Lady Carla has got me all excited about berets. I want to work a fuschia pink one with my black bob and pretend I'm all Paris-girl-chic - any ideas where I can get one?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey!

I followed your advice before I even read it (spooky!)

I love telling people nice stuff (even if they do think I'm weird). Today I told a little girl I loved her hair, all cute black curls...both she and her mum giggled, so I guess it was ok!

Here's to girls of all ages!!

Kate x