Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Sad days.


My computer died Tuesday.

I am not a back-up kinda girl.

Not good.


I'm still not in a place to laugh about it.


There have been tears. Mainly in the middle of the Apple store in Southampton when they told me Martha the Mac had a screen issue and could no longer turn on.

I then cried a little louder and a little harder when they told me my work was not retrievable.


The Apple man, not sure what to do with an incompetent, non-work saving cry-girl, said he would make some calls.

He did.

He asked me to wait.

I waited, I held my gratitude rock REALLY hard in one hand and my good luck charm from Swanks REALLY hard in the other. I had as many pink thoughts as was feasibly possible in the circumstances and I STILL didn't eat chocolate.

It was an agonising wait. A wait that even the latest issue of NOW couldn't make easier, although I did think I quite liked Coleen, that footballer's girlfriend.


Mike, the Apple man rang me with news.

They could retrieve the work but the computer was dead. I could replace it but it would cost less to buy a new one.

Hmph.

I may be an author girl, but a rich girl? Not so much.

This was not my happiest of days.

Especially when The Man was at his least supportive, by telling me how ridiculous it was that I was a writer, that I made my living out of writing and that I didn't back up my work.

Gee thanks, Mister Supportive.


I am happiness that I do have all my work. Very happy. Ecstatic, in fact.

I now have a new Mac which I'm looking to name, I'm thinkin' this one is a boy, so any suggestions, send 'em over. I have a whole new back up drive too.

I find it quite hard to get excited about the technologies, but I am excited that my world is substantially more sparkly-gorgeous today than it was yesterday.


I don't want to be a preachy preech girl, but if you have technologies and have work that's mucho important to you – save it, save it now.

You'll thank me.

2 comments:

Keris Stainton said...

Um ... I don't back up either. I will now though.

I am so sorry for the loss of Martha. :(

How about Matt the Mac, after Matthew McConaughey? :)

Lou said...

I like 'Malcolm'. Glad you recovered everything pink lady!
Lou x