Monday, February 26, 2007

Fab quote: 'blast them with glamour' - Rufus Wainwright

I had a total 'pinch me' day yesterday.

For Christmas I bought my friend Swanks a ticket to go to this mucho exclusive one-off Rufus Wainwright gig at the London Palladium, I bought myself one too obviously, didn't want him going on his own.

Confession time - I didn't actually know who Rufus Wainwright was. I knew the songs he did for the Moulin Rouge soundtrack, but that was it.

Still, I like an adventure, I like hangin' with Swanks, I was always going to have a good time.
'Cept I just didn't know how much of a good time.

Swanks and I traveled up to the Londinium in his truck - he's havin' a 'cowboy' phase - I felt like Daisy Duke, minus those skimpy hotpants obviously, and was tempted to start herding cattle. There's not too many cows in the big city, so instead, Swanks and I did what we do best...Shopping.

We went to Libertys - it's olden days on the outside, chocolate-shop fabulous on the inside - I adore it. Swanks bought super-swanks boy perfume, some dee-lish ties for work and a very gorgeous shirt that I would happily be seen out with him in, I however bought nothing.
That was until we went to Carnaby Street and discovered the Too Busy to be Beautiful shop. New favourite shop alert...it's like a tribute to all things 50's glamour - beautiful packaging, sweet-smelling perfume and gorgeous assistants who could easily sell me ice if I were one of those li'l eskimo types - I bought their signature scent, B and am now wanting to munch on my own wrist it smells so divine!

So, to the gig...it was incredible!
I had inadvertently bought two of the best seats in the house, not only did we have a good view of the stage we also were in prime position to celeb-spot. Seems the Rufus is a bit of legend and the celebs were out in full force - Jamie McCullum, Stephen Gately, Sinead O'Connor, Simon Anstell, Jon Meyer - there were loads more downstairs too, love me some slebs!
The gig itself was awesome - turns out Rufus is a hotster.
Who knew?
Not me.
He was recreating the Judy Garland concert she held in New York and it was unbelievable - Martha Wainwright came on and sung 'Stormy Weather' so pitch-perfect I cried, Judy Garland's daughter Lorna sang too and Rufus sang 'Get Happy' which is a totes favourite of mine...I now love Rufus.
So swept away by our adventure, I bought the original Judy Garland show at Carnegie Hall on CD today - I love me a tragic gay icon!

In other news: the bed arrived today.
While I'm still miffed that buying the bed has meant no trip to NYC, I have to admit I am lovin' the comfort so much I'm delirious with happiness. In fact, I plan on climbing in it right after America's Next Top Model to read - I bought memory pillows too. Chances of me getting up tomorrow are slim.

Oh, I forgot to ask - I really NEED someone to give me a word-for-word update on Friday's ep of Ugly Betty. I missed it on Friday and missed the re-run yesterday - please help! I'll send you chocolate!

No comments: