Sunday, November 04, 2007




Hands up who hearts The X factor?

If I wasn't typing, I'd have two hands firmly in the air, I LOVE talent shows! My faves at the moment are: Leon - cute, Rhydian - talented and a li'l bit kooky-my fave combination! Oh, and Same Difference - so, so adoreable.

'Cept I don't heart the X Factor's idea of Girl Power. Not one li'l bit.

So, you know how Pink Thinkin' is positive thinkin', right?

And you know that when you Think Pink, you become feisty, fun, fearless and fabulous, right?

Well, I reckon that's real Girl Power.

Y'know, Loving yourself inside and out

Dreaming big dreams, getting focused and making them happen - that doesn't mean just wanting to be 'famous' - that means discovering your ah-mazing talents and sharing them with the world! Maybe you're a scientist-girl who finds a cure for cancer or makes yummy, not-tested-on-animals prods or maybe you're an art-girl who creates films that make people think differently...

Having HUGE respect for yourself and for others - that means telling yourself you're fabulous on a daily basis, saying NO, and telling other girls how much they rock

So imagine how mad I was when I watched The X Factor last night, and heard Louis Walsh tell the world that would-be girl group, HOPE are what Girl Power is all about.

Er...Hello?

Now, I think HOPE are talented, especially the 16 year old lead singer - she's blimmin' brilliant - I'm just gutted that judge-dude Simon, thinks that the only way to promote these girls is to get them wearing virtually no clothes and have them singing songs about rudies.

It just gets, well... a bit borin' snorin' to be honest.
It's like they're becoming a cookie cutter version of any ol' girl group before them and that just makes me mad and sad. Now, how cool would it be if they made their own girl-group shaped footprints in pop-world?
Now that would really rock!

The HOPE that Simon is creating isn't Girl Power, it's a tried and tested method of selling records, and that's sucky.

OVER TO YOU, PINK LADIES! What does the term GIRL POWER mean to you?
What girls rock your world and why?


Comment below before the 16th November 07, and you'll be put into a prize draw for a Lola Love goody bag!

1 comment:

BB said...

Heya, I came here via Keris's blog (hi!) and as a fellow X Factor fan to boot, I just had to comment on this.

I can't stand Hope. Not one bit. Mainly due to the reasons you mentioned. To me they just sound like an average group of girls put together to be caked in makeup, clothed in as little as possible, and to act like tarts.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm no prude at ALL, but is this really a decent set of role models? Within Hope is a young single mum ('I'm doing this for my son!' - Um, yeah. Okay.), and a 15-16 year old who obviously doesn't mind singing rude songs that go along the lines of 'nothing like a good spanky!'

Girl Power worked for the Spice Girls in that each member had a different personality we could all relate to and love. Girl Power should be about who you are and what you can achieve, and how to be the best you can be WITHOUT having to please other people - which, sadly, is the only one thing that Hope are doing.